We’re glad to have you back on campus! We also want you to know that support for all of your needs is available at a distance. To help limit traffic density on campus, please consider using the online or remote services we have available whenever possible.
Accessing Your Student Email
In light of the health risks of COVID-19 (coronavirus) and most campus operations shifting to remote/online, it is more important now than ever that you are using your SUNY Broome issued e-mail address (@acad.sunybroome.edu). You can access your SUNY Broome e-mail by visiting gmail.com and entering your credentials.
It is critical in this time that you log into this e-mail at least once per day to receive any pertinent information and/or updates from the college or your professors. If you are only checking your personal e-mail, you are missing important information from campus wide messaging and student support services, including Financial Aid and Advising.
If you need to look-up your log-in information, use the “Username/Password Look-Up” option via MyCollege.
- Log in to Blackboard. If you don’t know your login information, you can click on the link that reads “Forgot Your Password?” that appears to the right of the Login button.
- Please visit the Orientation website for additional information and resources to help orient you to Blackboard.
How to Get Technical Help with Blackboard
The SUNY Online HelpDesk should be your first point of contact when experiencing technical issues with any course that uses the Blackboard Learning Management System.You can contact the SUNY Online HelpDesk during their extensive available hours, including evenings and weekend days. Hours are posted on their website. The SUNY Online HelpDesk can be reached through the following methods:
- Main website for the SUNY Online HelpDesk
- Submit a HelpDesk Ticket: SUNY Online Support Services Portal
- Phone Number: +1 (844) 673-6786 / +1 (844) OPENSUNY (Toll-free within the United States) or +1 (518) 320-1300 (Direct)
SUNY Broome cares about your success! We know all the sudden changes to your studies and home life are challenging. If you need help:
- Login to Starfish from the MyCollege launchpad.
- Click on the “Raise Your Hand” tab from the Navigation Tool
- Choose our NEW “I Need Help with Online Classes/Distance Learning.” Use the comment box to include any specific questions you have, if applicable. An Academic Coach will reach out to you by phone, text, and/or email to help connect you to appropriate resources.
Also, visit our Starfish website for more ways Starfish can support your success!
Transitioning to Online or Remote Instruction
Students can request access to the SUNY Broome Online Student Success Strategies organization through Blackboard. This is not a graded course, it is a resource to provide you with a better understanding of how to be successful in the online learning environment. To join this organization, please complete this brief registration request.
If you have any questions, please contact Maureen Breck at Breckmk@sunybroome.edu.
New Student Focused Website
A website has been put together by the SUNY Online team that includes: Resources for Success in Your Online Course; Resources for Active Military and Veteran Students; Mental Health, Nutrition, and Technology Resources; as well as links to the Support Guides for Working with Blackboard, brightspace, Canvas, and Moodle.
SUNY Online Helpdesk Open to All
The SUNY Online Helpdesk is available to assist students at all campuses with technical support, including how to access their courses using online tools/technology. Access the helpdesk.
Phone: +1 (607) 778-5011
Students are able to pick up laptops by appointment only. Call the Technology Services Department at +1 (607) 778-5670 to arrange for pickup time, drop-off time, or ask any questions. The scheduling operator will give you instructions on where to park and how to enter and exit the building in order to ensure your safety and the safety of our technicians.
Student Support Services
Due to COVID-19, various student support service offices have suspended in-person appointments and transitioned to fully online.
Don’t know where to go for help or how to access the student support services you need? In Starfish, go to “Raise Your Hand” and choose the “I Need Help” flag option. An Academic Coach will be in contact with you via email, phone and/or text to provide further assistance and guidance.
For the latest information on in-person or remote student support services, visit each area’s website:
- Academic Advising
- Academic Coaches: Get assistance with time management, study skills, test preparation, setting academic goals, and other appropriate interventions.
- Accessibility Resources Office
- Center for Career Development
- Counseling Services
- Educational Opportunity Program
- Financial Aid Office
- Math Lab
- Registrar’s Office
- Student Accounts
- Student Success Squad: Provides academic counseling to support success and growth to students that may be first generation, income eligible, and/or may have a learning difference.
- Writing Center
Join a club or student organization
Student Activities Website
Phone: +1 (607) 778-5033
The Student Activities Office at SUNY Broome is your home to find fun and exciting things to do at SUNY Broome. We have a wide array of clubs and organizations that are available to all students. From the Black Student Union and the Japanese Animation Club to the Art Club and Knitting Club, we have clubs for just about everyone.
All of our clubs and organizations are housed in The Swarm. Engaged students are successful students! All of our events are likely to be virtual at this time. To check out what other students are already doing, see a full list of clubs or to start your own club log into the Swarm by going to your My College account and clicking on The Swarm icon.