At SUNY Broome, the following supports and services are available to CTE students who are enrolled in Perkins V CTE Programs (pdf):
CTE Enrollment Coaching
Working within the Admissions Office, the CTE Enrollment Coach supports the enrollment and participation of prospective and new CTE students by:
- Discussing life, education and career interests, and setting academic goals.
- Helping CTE students to understand and complete admissions requirements.
- Connecting new and prospective CTE students with campus resources, such as Financial Aid, Student Accounts, Academic Advising, Transfer Counseling, and Student Housing.
CTE Academic Coaching
Working within the Learning Assistance Department, the CTE Academic Coach supports the retention and success of CTE students enrolled in Perkins-eligible CTE academic programs within the Divisions of Health Sciences, STEM, and Business and Professional Services by:
- Helping CTE students achieve academic success by providing assistance with time management, study skills, test preparation, setting academic goals, and other appropriate interventions.
- Meeting with CTE students who are on Academic Probation to develop Recovery Plans and monitor progress.
- Referring CTE students to other support services on campus as appropriate, such as Academic Advising, Counseling, Professional Tutoring, Peer Tutoring, Supplemental Instruction, Math Lab, Writing Center, and Accessibility Resources Office.
CTE Technical Assistance
Also working within the Learning Assistance Department, the CTE Technical Assistant is available to help CTE students by:
- Arranging access to, and instruction on, assistive technologies for CTE students with disabilities. Examples of available assistive technology aids for CTE students at SUNY Broome include:
- Smartpen – An ink pen that helps with note taking by recording the classroom lecture and connecting it to the notes a student takes. Students with dyslexia, ADD, ADHD, and other learning disabilities have reported significant improvement in study habits and academic performance with the use of this tool.
- C-Pen Reader – A portable line scanner that scans text and reads it aloud. Great for students with dyslexia, low vision, and reading difficulties, as well as students who are learning English.
- Low Vision Scientific Calculator – A large-display scientific calculator that is specifically designed for users with low vision and visual impairments.
- Talking Calculator – A portable calculator that speaks in a clear voice.
- Providing tech support for any CTE students struggling with taking online course(s) or using Blackboard, Starfish, Microsoft Suite, Banner, and My College platforms.
CTE Career Coaching
Working within the on-campus Center for Career Development, the CTE Career Coach supports the career development of CTE students enrolled in all Perkins-eligible academic programs by:
- Offering help with developing and reviewing resumes and cover letters
- Providing interview coaching
- Assisting with job and internship searches
- Coordinating CTE career-related events on campus, such as mock interviews, career expos, job shadowing opportunities, LinkedIn assistance, etc.