Enforcement shall apply to all users of SUNY Broome Community College and its property to include employees, students, vendors, contractors and visitors.
- Effective November 1, 2014 – November 30, 2014:
Individuals who violate the no smoking policy will be reminded of the policy and asked to comply by putting out the lighted tobacco product or e-cigarette.
- Effective December 1, 2014:
Individuals who violate the no smoking policy will receive a citation (See D. Fines.)
- Individuals found smoking tobacco products or electronic cigarettes in areas other than being under one of the two designated campus gazebos identified for that purpose or within their vehicle shall be in violation of this policy.
- Littering cigarette butts shall be a violation of this policy.
- Enforcement of the policy shall be performed by Public Safety Officers and trained
- Volunteers shall be required to complete a workshop on the no smoking policy and procedures for enforcement.
- Volunteers may request that individuals found in violation of the policy comply. Public Safety shall be notified of anyone who refuses to comply.
- Public Safety Officers who observe individuals in violation of the policy shall mandate compliance in accordance with the elements noted in B. Effective Dates.
- Individuals who repeatedly violate the policy shall be referred to the appropriate entity and additional corrective action may be taken.
- Each violation of the no smoking policy shall be assessed a fine as follows:
1. First Offense – $10.
2. Second Offense – $20
3. Third Offense – $30
4. Fourth Offense – $40
- Fines not paid within 30 calendar days from the date of issuance will be doubled.
- After four violations of the no smoking policy, the violator shall be referred to the appropriate entity for counseling and possible further disciplinary measures. a. Students – Vice President for Student and Economic Development. b. Employees – Supervisor. c. Contractors and Visitors – The employee with direct oversight.
- Unpaid student fines and costs will result in a “hold” being placed on transcripts.
- Visitors and Contractors may be banned from campus for unpaid fines or continued violation of the policy.