Welcome, Starfish Faculty! Starfish is an academic early alert and communication software system. Starfish was introduced at SUNY Broome in the Spring of 2015 as a communication tool that helps promote engagement that improves student outcomes. We are leveraging two components to help with student retention.
- Starfish Early Alert helps gather information about students so that they can receive help before circumstances cause them to fall behind.
- Starfish Connect helps create a bridge between students, professors, advisors, and tutors, to keep students on the right track. There are scheduling and communication elements built into this portion of the software.
Starfish Early Alert
Course instructors can communicate with students about their progress by sending notifications called: flags, kudos, and referrals. The earlier an alert is raised, the better chance we have of identifying and addressing potential barriers with an appropriate intervention. Students are also very responsive to kudos that let them know their efforts are recognized and appreciated.
Starfish can help you by:
- providing an avenue for you to communicate with students and give feedback about their academic progress
- helping you facilitate a timely connection to campus support professionals and services
- allowing you to access a variety of information about a student
How can I dive in?
Access Starfish through your QuickLaunch menu in MyCollege
Here are a few things you can do to get started:
View Faculty and Staff Resources
Quick Guides & Tools
- Starfish Faculty and Staff – Getting Started Guide (pdf)
- How to Set up Your Profile
- How to Submit an Early Alert (Raise a Flag)
- Starfish Tracking Items Guide (pdf)
- Starfish Student Email Templates (pdf)
- How to Clear Flags
- Customizable Kudos Instructions
- How to Track Attendance
- How to Use Appointment Scheduling
- How to Use Zoom In with your BlackBoard course
- How to Use Direct Links
- Spring 2019 New Flag Messaging (pdf)
- Reporting Midterm Grades in Starfish
- Starfish Syllabus Statement Template
- Starfish Student Handout/Assignment Instructions