Benefits of midterm grades in Starfish:
- Students receive immediate email notification of midterm grades by way of flags.
- Instructors can leave tailored comments for students.
- Instructors can also provide positive feedback (kudos) to students who are performing well.
- Academic Coaches will provide outreach to students with two or more midterm grades to prompt a productive course of action.
- Instructors can view Midterm Grade alerts on the Tracking Tab of the student folder.
- Login to MyCollege and click on the Starfish icon on the Launchpad
- Select the class section link next to the Outstanding Progress Survey icon at the top of the Home page.
- Review the class list and select the appropriate boxes on the Progress Survey.
Progress Survey Options are:
- Keep Up the Good Work (Kudos)
- Midterm Grade= D (Flag)
- Midterm Grade= F (Flag)
- Midterm Grade= U (Flag)
- Academic Coaching, Tutoring, Math Lab and Writing Center Referrals
*if no box is checked the default is “No Feedback” (The student will not receive any communications.)
You can provide additional comments to the students by selecting the appropriate box and then clicking the
Examples of comments:
Complete this process for all the students for whom you wish to provide midterm feedback. If you do not check any boxes, no messages will be sent. If you check the D, F, or U options, the following message will be sent to the student at their SUNY Broome email account. If you include a comment, the comment will also display in the email to the student. The message template showing an example of an included comment is:
When you are finished checking all of the appropriate boxes and adding any relevant comments, click the SUBMIT button. This process replaces MIDTERM entry in Banner.
Note: With team teaching, only one instructor should raise flags through the survey. Team instructors should decide who will raise the flags; the instructor not raising flags can submit the survey with no feedback. This will complete the survey and clear it from the open survey list.
For info on how to use flags/kudos or additional resources, visit our Starfish website: www.sunybroome.edu/starfish.
Questions? Contact a Starfish Core Team member at firstname.lastname@example.org