Welcome to Starfish! Starfish is an academic early alert and communication software system. Starfish was introduced at SUNY Broome in the Spring of 2015 as a communication tool that helps promote engagement that improves student outcomes. We are leveraging two components to help with student retention.
- Starfish Early Alert helps gather information about students so that they can receive help before circumstances cause them to fall behind.
- Starfish Connect helps create a bridge between students, professors, advisors, and tutors, to keep students on the right track. There are scheduling and communication elements built into this portion of the software.
Starfish Early Alert
Course instructors can communicate with students about their progress by sending notifications called: flags, kudos, and referrals. The earlier an alert is raised, the better chance we have of identifying and addressing potential barriers with an appropriate intervention. Students are also very responsive to kudos that let them know their efforts are recognized and appreciated.
Features of this arm of our Starfish system can include setting up a Service so students can easily find you and your support resources, Referrals so you and others staff can send communications to students about your office and Appointment Scheduling so students can easily make appointments with you (if desired) and you can document student appointments for your own reference and share with others who are part of the student’s success network.
Starfish can help you by:
- providing an avenue for you to communicate with students and give direction to the services you provide
- helping you facilitate a timely connection to campus support professionals and services
- allowing you to access a variety of information about a student
- track appointments with students
How Can I Dive In?
Access Starfish through your QuickLaunch menu in MyCollege.
Here are a few things you can do to get started: