The phrase Nontraditional Careers simply means jobs that are filled predominantly by one gender, either mostly males or mostly females. For example, a “Nontraditional Occupation” for females is one in which females comprise 25% or less of the employees in that occupation (i.e. female mechanical engineers). Likewise, a “Nontraditional Occupation” for males is one in which males comprise 25% or less of the employees in that occupation (i.e. male nurses).
At SUNY Broome, 29 Perkins-Eligible Career and Technical Education (CTE) programs of study are considered nontraditional by gender.
- SUNY Broome Perkins-Eligible CTE Programs Meeting the Definition of Nontraditional by Gender (pdf)
- SUNY Broome’s Nontraditional Careers Information Flyer (pdf)
Is a Perkins Nontraditional CTE Career for you?
- Do you possess skills in an area where you stand out that may be considered uncommon for your gender?
- Do you believe that you have important contributions to share in a particular field regardless of your gender?
- Do you like the possibility of standing out for doing a great job AND being distinctive among your co-workers?
- Do you want to be part of today’s changing workforce?