Who They Are
- 2019-20 | Nathan Smales, Physical Therapy Assistant
- 2018-19 | Tyler Gregory, Nursing and Tiffany Simonik, Mechanical Engineering Technology & Manufacturing Technology
- 2017-18 | Samuel Payzant, Physical Therapy Assistant
- 2016-17 | Alexandra Kendrick, Engineering and Arianna Wagner, Corrections
- 2015-16 | Jessica Elmore, Manufacturing Technology Engineer
- 2014-15 | Joseph Seidel, Elementary Education Teacher
- Nathan Smales Buzz Article
- Tyler Gregory’s Buzz Article
- Tiffany Simonik’s Buzz Article
- Vanguard Award Winners Buzz Article 18-19
- Samuel Payzant, Award Presentation & Interview
- Jessica Elmore’s Award Presentation Video
- Jessica Elmore’s Buzz Article
- Joseph Seidel’s Focus Article
- What do other Vanguard Award Winners say about their inspiring journeys into nontraditional careers
- Alexandria Kendrick’s Award Video
- Arianna Wagner’s Award Video
What Is the Vanguard Award?
Since 1993, the Vanguard Award recognizes outstanding students at the postsecondary level who are enrolled in Career and Technology Education programs that are not traditional for their gender. The Vanguard Award is presented annually by the NET (Nontraditional Employment & Training) Project, an initiative administered by SUNY Albany’s Center for Women in Government & Civil Society in partnership with the NYS Education Department.
What Is a Non-Traditional by Gender Career?
A nontraditional career is an occupation where one gender dominates and the other gender comprises fewer than 25% of the occupation’s total employment.
- Examples of nontraditional occupations for women: Airline Pilot; Electrician; Firefighter
- Examples of nontraditional occupations for men: Nurse; Early Childhood Educator; Paralegal
What Are the Vanguard Award Eligibility Requirements?
To be nominated, a student must be currently enrolled in a postsecondary Career and Technical Education (CTE) program that is nontraditional for his/her gender. Nominations must be made by faculty/staff of nontraditional CTE programs (pdf). Multiple nominations may be submitted.
The 2020-2021 Vanguard Award nomination period is now closed. Please check back in Fall 2021 for the information on the next nomination cycle. Applications are typically made available on the NET Program website every November at www.netprogram.org.