Diagnostic Coding and EHR Basics* Microcredential
Students learn basic medical terminology, documentation, privacy, and security standards; how to assign ICD-10-CM codes, navigate the Electronic Health Records and extract relevant information, and demonstrate health information management regulatory compliance. This is the first in a series of three microcredentials building the knowledge required for the American Academy of Professional Coders’ Certified Professional Coder exam.
* Microcredentials marked with an asterisk are eligible for part-time TAP financial aid.
Credit or Non-Credit
Number of Credits
Approximate cost with fees: $3,408 (NYS resident)/$6,006 (out-of-state)
Who is Eligible
Time to complete
Skills You’ll Acquire
- Assign ICD-10-CM codes, complications, comorbidities, hospital-acquired condition codes, and present on admission indicators
- Proficient in medical terminology use
- Navigate electronic medical record documentation and extract relevant information
- Demonstrate compliance with regulations, policies, and procedures applicable to the management of health information
Stackable to Credits
- Combine with the CPT Coding and Documentation Standards and Hospital Inpatient Coding and Quality Improvement microcredentials to be prepared to sit for the American Academy of Professional Coders’ Certified Professional Coder exam
- Credits from these courses apply toward the Health Information Technology AAS degree
Ready to find out more?
Get started by filling out the inquiry form below. A member from our Continuing Education team will promptly get in touch with you with instructions on how to register and help answer any questions you may have.