The SUNY Center for Professional Development (CPD) provides the initial Brightspace Fundamentals training for all SUNY faculty. The CPD offers training in three modalities (Self-paced Asynchronous Online, Scaled Webinars, and Remote Synchronous) in order to accommodate faculty training preferences. In addition to the choice of modalities for the training, the CPD has also identified four levels of training speed and individualized attention (Spark, Ignite, Blaze, and Bonfire) so faculty can self-select the pace of their training based on their expertise and comfort levels with learning new technology. Regardless of modality or pace selected, faculty must successfully complete a series of online assessments in order to earn a Brightspace Fundamentals Certificate and Badge from the SUNY Center for Professional Development. This badge is required for faculty to use Brightspace at SUNY Broome.
The assessments necessary to receive the badge are located within the CPD’s Brightspace asynchronous training course entitled “SUNY DLE Brightspace Fundamentals Asynchronous Modules.” If you have completed the CPD’s Remote Synchronous training or the entire Scaled Webinar Series, you can simply access the Brightspace Fundamentals course and complete each of the Module Assessments (entitled “Knowledge Checks”) in order to receive your Brightspace Fundamentals Certificate and Badge.
Accessing Brightspace from the MyCollege Launchpad
Once your Brightspace account is created, you will be able to use your SUNY Broome credentials to access SUNY’s Brightspace environment. To do this:
- Using your SUNY Broome username and password, log in to MyCollege (mycollege.sunybroome.edu) and select the link to Brightspace on the Launchpad.
You should be taken directly to the SUNY Broome landing page in Brightspace.
- Verify that you see your name in the upper right corner of the screen and the “SUNY DLE Brightspace Fundamentals Asynchronous Modules” tile in the My Courses Area.
- Select the tile to open the SUNY DLE Brightspace Fundamentals Asynchronous Modules.
You will be taken to the SUNY DLE Brightspace Fundamentals Asynchronous Modules Home Page.
- From here, you will access each module and complete all activities (including the Knowledge Checks) if you have not attended the Synchronous Remote or Scaled Webinar training.
- If you have already completed the training in another modality and simply need to complete the assessments, you will need to go into each module and successfully complete each Knowledge Check (located at the bottom of the module’s Table of Contents).
Receiving your SUNY Brightspace Fundamentals Certificate
Once you receive a perfect score (100%) on all nine (9) Knowledge Checks in the course, you will receive an email indicating that you have received the SUNY DLE Brightspace Fundamentals Certificate. You need to send this email or a copy of your Certificate to the Teaching Center (email@example.com) in order to be marked as “trained” in Banner.
- You will also be able to access your Certificate from with the Brightspace Fundamentals course by selecting Course Activities in the Navigation Bar and selecting Awards.